Concept & Development Designer
February 5th, 2020
What will you be doing?
Basic Function: Concept & Development Designer - is responsible for developing and executing persuasive, strategic, innovative, customer-centric design for all marketing channels, with an emphasis on print. Under the general supervision of the Design Manager, the Concept & Development Designer works as part of an in-house marketing team to achieve the Michaels brand objectives through effective use of graphic design and art direction principles. Using proven talent and consistent conceptual thinking, the Designer must master the distinctive Michaels brand guidelines to communicate brand strengths in a uniquely fresh, memorable and persuasive way.
How will you do it?
- Design innovative concept covers and concept layouts for digital and print tabs while aligning with marketing and merchandising strategies.
- Create toolkits and logos for a variety of seasonal events and campaigns.
- Work closely photo studio, photographers and stylists to plan, prepare for and art direct photo shoots that produce high-quality photography to highlight Michaels products.
- Independently manage multiple projects on tight and/or changing deadlines.
- Attend Turn-In and Walk-the-Wall meetings with promotional & merchandising partners when necessary.
- Offer insight and achievable creative solutions for all questions that arise.
- Discuss details around new photography for a clear understanding of goals and expectations from merchant teams.
- Remain actively engaged in conversations surrounding layout changes, design challenges and photography questions.
- Coach, mentor and lead junior-level designers to improve and elevate tab design and photography.
- Be a self-starter who is comfortable taking active direction from multiple sources and can thrive under changing circumstances.
- Work closely with copy partners to architect and implement the overall look and language of customer-facing materials.
- Effectively interpret and adapt information for marketing initiatives based on briefs, merchant input, internal reports and other supporting documents.
- Translate strategic messages into clear, compelling, on-brand customer-facing design that is visually exciting and emotionally engaging.
- Ensure marketing objectives have been met within creative guidelines.
- Master and continue development and evolution of Michaels brand, applying industry best practices into a proprietary execution.
- Must have strong project/time management skills and can thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
What Skills you will need to do your job?
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree
- Graphic Design, Advertising, Marketing
- Proficient in Current Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Microsoft Office
- 5 years: major retail marketing department preferred
- Multi-channel campaign development
- Portfolio demonstrating creative and strategic strength
- Strong organizational, problem-analysis, decision-making and communication skills
- Thrives in a deadline-driven environment
- Manage competing priorities
- Able to react to urgent business changes
How to Apply
Why Work for Us?The Michaels Companies, Inc., is North America’s largest arts and crafts specialty retailer, with more than 1,340 stores in the United States and Canada. Our store team, distribution and manufacturing center team, and support center team work together to help our customers bring their creativity to life. We offer career growth, benefits packages, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, and more. Michaels Team Members also enjoy a wide variety of ways to save including discounts at our stores, select fitness and childcare centers, restaurants, hotels, and more.The Michaels support center is located in Irving, Texas. We call our corporate office a “support center” because everything we do there helps to support the retail stores. It’s a creative, challenging and collaborative place to grow your career