The Graphic Designer will be responsible for creating in-park signage, information / educational graphics, and other graphic and collateral needs to support the Dallas Zoo. This position will work closely with internal departments to create and produce requested materials, and coordinate on installation with internal production team.
• Leverage Dallas Zoo brand standards to design animal ID graphics and informational / educational signage that supports the Zoo’s mission and vision.
• Use creative campaign elements (developed in-house or provided by the ad agency) to design branded event signage.
• Create templates or design individual creative pieces needed to support ongoing / repetitive collateral requests.
• Coordinate with Marketing Team, as well as anyone else involved with the project, to manage workflow and meet needs of creative design requests from departments across the Zoo (including Guest Services, Advancement, Education, Conservation Education, etc.)
• Serve as a resource to work with internal team members to determine specs, materials, logistics, installation needs, etc.
• Work closely with supervisor to ensure information, direction, specs, timelines, etc. are clearly outlined at the start of a project, that deadlines are met and that files are delivered to internal production team or external vendors, as needed.
• Collaborate with broader marketing and Guest Services team to prioritize creative requests.
• Attend press checks and / or review proofs to ensure quality control for all Zoo signage and materials.
• Maintain organizational system for filing all design assets on the company server.
• Performs other duties as required.
• One to two years of experience as a graphic designer with in-depth knowledge of methods and techniques of graphic design and layout.
• B.A., B.S. or equivalent degree or work experience equivalent.
• Coursework in biology, marketing, education or related field preferred.
• Portfolio with relevant work samples required.
• Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite software, particularly Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop in a Mac environment.
• Experience working with creative teams, clients, and production vendors to manage projects.
• Retail signage and visual merchandising experience a plus.
• Knowledge of print, interactive, signage, and photo/video asset design and production best practices.
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Word, Excel Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational and planning skills a must.
• Must understand the value and need for meeting deadlines and communicating effectively about doing so.
• Able to work calmly under pressure, juggle multiple tasks & projects simultaneously and make quick decisions in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a pleasant attitude.
• High degree of adaptability. Must be able to shift priorities seamlessly while remaining efficient and effective.
• Self-motivated with ability to work with little or no supervision, take initiative to solve issues as they arise and accept constructive criticism as given.
• Desire to be an integral part of a team and work together to accomplish goals.
• Collaborative, passionate and fun to work with.
• Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees, and Zoo guests.
• Commitment to the mission and values of the Dallas Zoo.
• Periodically works irregular hours, including some nights, holidays and weekends, as needed.
• Ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work. This may involve some lifting, carrying, moving, pushing, and/or pulling of objects/materials of medium weight (25-50 pounds). Some climbing on ladders or over obstacles may be required. Tasks may also involve significant periods of standing or walking outside during events and photo shoots, as well as during event set-up or break-down times.
• Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
• Must have a valid Texas driver’s license with reliable transportation.
Successful candidates must complete a pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.
Please follow link to complete application process:
THE DALLAS ZOO’S MISSION IS ENGAGING PEOPLE & SAVING WILDLIFE.This serves as our North Star – our guiding force and the source of our continual motivation to achieve our vision of Creating a Better World for Animals. By providing our guests with real-world opportunities to make memorable connections with wildlife and supplementing their experience with conservation messaging, the Dallas Zoo aims to inspire and empower visitors to take action on behalf of wildlife in Texas and around the world.